There are different sizes of hockey rinks including a bigger Olympics size hockey rink and a smaller practice size rink.
We will only be looking at the hockey rink NHL teams play on.
How many acres is an NHL hockey rink?
- 0.39 acres
Take a look at the graphic below of the NHL hockey rink dimensions:
The dimensions of a hockey rink are:
- The length of a hockey rink is 200 feet / 61 metres / 66.67 yards
- The width of a hockey rink is 85 feet / 25.9 metres / 28.33 yards
Calculations for acres in a hockey rink:
- 200 feet x 85 feet = 17,000 square feet
- 1 acre = 43,560 square feet
- 17,000 / 43,560 = 0.39 acres
What’s the fastest slap shot ever recorded?
- Zdeno Chara, 108.8 mph. Chara is the tallest player to play in the NHL at 6 feet 9 inches. In 2012 he recorded a slap shot of 108.8 mph at the NHL skills competition.
Who is the fastest NHL player ever?
You will never find a definitive answer for this question. People argue for Bobby Orr, Pavel Bure, Mike Gartner, Connor McDavid and many others.
You have the idea a player who can skate with the puck the fastest is the fastest NHL player.
- Connor McDavid would probably win that argument.
Or what about top end speed without the puck?
- Dylan Larkin?
Or what about simply: Faster than their peers?
- Most would give that to Bobby Orr.
How many miles do hockey players skate in a game?
- Up to 5 miles (8 km) for the #1 centre.
- 3 – 4 miles (5 – 6.5 km) for the D-men and wingers.
What about the referees?
- Up to 5 miles (8 km) per game.
- Ref’s are on the ice the full 60 mins and have to cover the majority of the ice but they also spend time standing still watching the players.